Luxury Accommodation Akaroa
Matua Gardens Retreat, Robinsons Bay, Akaroa – luxury accommodation where nature meets nurture in a 5star retreat. International and New Zealand visitors enjoy genuine Kiwi hospitality in the private Five Star guest retreat attached to the home of hosts Sue & Richard.
Our Guests and Experiences
One Luxury Five Star retreat – many options.
Celebrations – Honeymoon, birthday, anniversary, proposal, life’s milestones
International visitors – Experience genuine Kiwi hospitality
Time out – Retreat from work, children or stress
Rest, relax and recuperate from illness, treatments and over work
Couples retreats – Get to know each other all over again
Nature lovers, artists, bird watchers and photographers retreat.
If you enjoy walking, hiking, scenic golf, wildlife and scenery then this is an ideal base from which to explore Banks Peninsula returning to the pleasure of a hot bath and a luxurious bed awaiting at the end of the day. You can put your feet up on the deck or by the fire, dine on site or at a local cafe or restaurant. If you would like to dine in make sure you let us know when you book.
Five Star Akaroa Luxury Accommodation at Matua Gardens Retreat
- A tranquil retreat best shared with someone you love.
- One retreat i.e. one couple or two singles
- Super king or twin share available
- No children.
- Bed and Breakfast.
- Dinner available.
- Pre-booking for dinner essential
- Private lounge
- Turn down service, handmade chocolates and complimentary port and whisky
- Free wi-fi. Computer. DVDs. TV on Demand. iPhone/pod dock
- Luxury (full breakfast menu, pillow & fragrance menus, snacks, beverages)
- Essentials (continental style breakfast)
- Flexible check-in /check-out times
- Owned and operated by hosts Sue and Richard
- 75 minutes to CHC International Airport. 10 minutes to Akaroa
- Specialise in made from scratch foods from quality local ingredients
- Special celebrations – proposal, anniversary, birthday, honeymoon
- Conservation programme
- Tranquil setting
- Open fire and air conditioning
- Double spa bath
- Large private deck and veranda
“Extras” can include:
- Rental car, transfers, wedding car, 4WD and motorbike and sidecar tours available with A Classic Ride
- Afternoon teas
- Massage therapies (pre-booking essential)
- Casual and formal dining
- Most dietary needs catered to (please advise on booking)
Sue and Richard Lovett are your hosts. We have owned “Matua” since 2001 and hosted guests since 2006. We are practical and down to earth and have a range of “projects” on the go at any time. Both “Matua” at Akaroa and “Beech Bach” on Stewart Island are constantly evolving. We have an eclectic range of interests, including collections of treasures (or some may say “old junk”), passion for our environment and wildlife (we’ve planted loads of trees and trapped vast numbers of furry things with sharp teeth). We’re well travelled in New Zealand and abroad and have extensive local knowledge. We love our food, grow a lot of it ourselves and cook from scratch i.e. hand made from real food ingredients with no artificial additives. We both enjoy a single malt, craft beers and good wines. We are happy to join you for a chat or leave you to relax.
Akaroa and the Bays
Akaroa and the Bays is a small village on Akaroa Harbour just over an hour from CHC. A scenic drive leads to the historic village at the end of SH75. Akaroa has cafes and wine tasting, quaint colonial architecture, museums, galleries, a boutique cinema, and shops. The area has dramatic scenery, abundant wildlife, fascinating geology , sea and land reserves, a network of walking tracks , a scenic 18 hole golf course in Duvauchelle, and a sense of remoteness despite the proximity of the city.
It is an ideal start or finish to a South Island tour around 1 1/4 hrs from CHC. Popular with the people of Christchurch for weekend and holiday breaks and day trips.